City, University of London
City, University of London is a leading global university focused on business and the professions attracting over 19,000 students from more than 160 countries and academic staff from over 75 countries.
We created and implemented an SEO strategy to increase sign ups to their short courses.
City, University of London approached to us to meet the following objectives:
- Support and enable undergraduate and postgraduate recruitment.
- Raise the profile of City’s research and enhance collaboration – improve awareness and engagement of research content.
- Enhance the University’s brand and reputation – increase reach of content through sharing and increase engagement.
- Support and enable recruitment for other course types.
- Sharing statutory information – measuring accuracy of information and making it accessible.
- Increase B2B engagement – connect businesses to City’s business services and people.
To develop an SEO strategy plan for City, University of London we reviewed the following elements:
- Current website rankings
- Overall organic keyword distribution
- Organic competitor positioning
- Organic rankings for postgraduate vs undergraduate courses
- Postgraduate vs undergraduate keyword distribution
We then carried out a technical SEO analysis with some recommendations to improve crawlability and indexation. The audit highlighted the main problem areas. Based on this and the objective outlined we developed an SEO strategy that included a detailed implementation calendar that prioritised certain URLs per month.
Each month the team would review the URLs and do additional keyword research, make recommendations for additional keywords, review on-site optimisation, include relevant structured data for all the courses and recommend additional topics to write on. We also identified some key pages received a low number of internal links so we provided a list of relevant internal pages where to link from, choosing the anchor text strategically to help the target pages to rank for such priority keywords.
MintTwist have been great to work with; they understood our organisation’s objectives and helped us to build a solid digital strategy based on this. The success of our digital campaigns have improved enormously as a result.
Increase in organic keywords
Closer, on average, to
page 1 on Google
Increase in the top-5 ranking for Google UK
Results for short courses in London and Undergraduate LLB
As a result, over the first six months our campaigns generated the stats shown above.
Using SEO, we improved in City University’s ranking positions significantly for relevant keywords. This has led to more traffic from new potential students and granting a greater scope for organic, scaleable growth into the future.