I recently received the “Cannot copy files required for installation” error (with error code: 0x80070017) when trying to install Windows 7 on my PC. After some investigation I found that the top 3 reasons this happens are:
- The DVD you are using is corrupt.
- If you are burning the ISO image to a DVD, you need to choose the lowest speed and be sure to verify it after burn (I used 4x)
- Your memory may be playing up.
- Run a memory test using the free tool from http://www.memtest.org. Any errors reported need to be ironed out. I simply took out 2gb of the 4gb my system had installed and this cleared the error. I then re-inserted the memory when Windows 7 had installed.
- Reset your BIOS settings to default.
- You should make sure you are not aggressively over clocking your system.
From our digital marketing consultancy team – good luck!