9 Sept – R.I.P ‘old’ Google Search Console
10 Sept – nofollow” links move to a ‘hint model
- Rel=”sponsored”: This is used to identify links that were created as part of advertisements, sponsorships or other compensation agreements.
- Rel=”ugc”: This value is used to identify links within user-generated content (ugc), such as comments or forum posts.
- Rel=”nofollow”: This attribute has not been replaced and is still used by Google. It is used when you want to link to a page, but you don’t want to provide any kind of endorsement, including passing ‘ranking credit’.
16 Sept – Google updates rich snippet reviews
On 16th September, Google announced that it would be updating the review rich snippets in order to make them more useful for users. The major change was to eliminate ‘self-serving’ reviews – i.e. reviews that are controlled by the webmaster – be it in the markup or via an embedded third party widget.
It is also important to note that Google has stated that this applies to both Review and AggregateRating schema types but you do not have to remove these from the page, Google will simply stop displaying them in the SERPs.
19 Sept – Google Search Console introduces new breadcrumb structured data reports
23 Sept – Fresh, same-day data available in Google Search Console reports
- Review your site’s weekend performance on Monday morning, rather than waiting until Wednesday.
- Review data during important days such as global events and holidays.
- Check whether traffic is rebounded after technical fixes.
24 Sept – New snippet settings from Google allow more control over SERP display
- “nosnippet” – this is an existing option that removes textual snippets from the SERP.
- “max-snippet:[number]” – Allows you to specify the maximum text length, in characters, of the snippet for this page.
- “max-video-preview:[number]” – This meta tag specifies a maximum duration, in seconds, of an animated video preview.
- “max-image-preview:[setting]” – Specify the maximum size of an image preview to be shown, between “none”, “standard” or “large”.
<p><span data-nosnippet>MintTwist</span> is a full service digital agency.</p>
25 Sept – Google Core Update – September 2019
26 Sept – CONFIRMED: Embedded & Hotlinked images are not regarded as links
Just to be really clear, there’s no need to disavow if a site embeds images from your site. We don’t see those as links to a site. (Sometimes people embed images AND link to your site, in that case, links are links, do whether or not you disavow … it depends)
— 🍌 John 🍌 (@JohnMu) September 26, 2019
26 Sept – Google Search News – new YouTube series